We are half way through the peak tax season and school holidays are coming up soon. This is often a popular time for teachers to complete their tax returns.

Below is a list of deductions which Teachers should have a think about and see if they apply to them. If you are unsure if any of the below apply to you, ask us to help you.



If you wear a uniform at school with a logo on it, then you can claim your laundry expenses. Unfortunately, you cannot claim uniform without logos on it such as general shirts, skirts and pants. You can also claim occupation specific clothing, these items could include lab coats or chefs’ jackets.

Teaching Resources

Make sure you are keeping a receipt for all of the resources you purchase during the year. Resources can include arts & crafts, prizes for students, paper, pens etc.


You can claim the travel that you do during work hours. Examples of this travel can be driving to and from school sport or camps or office staff going to the post office and back. You can also claim travel to Christmas parties, staff events, professional development days or work functions provided that you do not make any personal trips on the way to or from.

If you are studying whilst completing your apprenticeship, you can claim travel to and from your place of education whether you are travelling from home or work.

Mobile Phone Expenses

If you use your phone for work purposes such as being on call or needing your phone to call other staff, you can claim a business percentage of your yearly phone bill. Be sure to factor in any personal use which you acquire for your phone.

Sunglasses and Sunscreen

If you are out of pocket for any Sunglasses or Sunscreen, you can claim a portion of the amount as a deduction. If you use them 100% for work purposes, you can claim the full amount.


If you have taken any education courses, upskilling or training courses, the fees can be deductible in the year that they are paid. The courses must be specific to your job and must be related to your income. General deductions for course expenses can be as follows; textbooks, stationary, home office running costs, phone calls, tuition fee etc.

Home Office

All of the time you spend working from home (marking, lesson planning or studying) is deductable. Be sure to keep a record of how many hours you have spent because the ATO allows a deduction of 45 cents for every hour.

Teachers Registration / Union Fees

Teacher Registration and Union fees are common expense that teachers will pay annually. The full fee is tax deductable, be sure to keep a record of the payment.

Tax Agent Fees

A common deduction which is left out is the cost of completing your previous year’s tax return. The amount is fully deductible but must apply to the individual.

It is important to remember that you MUST adhere to your tax obligations and should only provide information which is true & accurate. You should be able to provide evidence of your expenses should the ATO require it.


To ensure you are claiming everything that you are entitled to and to make sure you get your maximum refund, talk to us today.